Inlay – what is it, how is inlay produced?
What is inlay?
Inlay is an combination of woods that are cut into various shapes and colours until they achieve the desired image.
How is inlay done? The procedure:
1. We begin with the design, which can represent a landscape, still life or any other type of image.
2. The woods are chosen according to their colours and veining in order to achieve the desired result.
3. The design is glued to the wood, which acts as a background and is then perforated around the rim and finally eliminated.
4. Various pieces of wood are inserted into the empty part that was created which are then, in turn, passed one at a time through burning sand in order to add a shade where necessary.
5. The pieces of wood are placed in such a manner that they form the desired image.
6.The whole procedure is created by gluing various pieces onto paper in such a way that they remain together.
7. Subsequently, the inlay is glued in reverse to the part of the furniture on which it must be inserted.
8. The paper is then removed.